Tuesday, July 31, 2007

God is Good all the time, All the time God is good.

Today was such a great day...

1. I woke up and went on a walk around the city (well my neighborhood) alone, and I realized that it was my first time doing something by myself here. While I was walking I stopped, laughed and said, "God, I am really doing this!" It was a weird to realize that this is my new home, and I really followed God here. I didn't get lost on my walk, and I never realized how much walking helps you figure out the city, plus it is good exercise.

2. I went to my classroom at 9:30am and worked all day! My classroom went from dull to bright with LOTS of color. Its so fun having my own classroom where I can do what I want in it. I was going to take pictures of it today... but you will see why I didn't as I get to the end of my list of why today was good.

3. I met Kate the new 2nd grade teacher. I asked her where she went to college and she said, oh Cincinnati -- and then proceeded to tell me she went to college in a small town called Oxford. I was shocked that she was a Miami grad, and from the moments I talked to her I really like her. She loves Jesus, and also came to Chiang Mai for her first teaching job 2 years ago. I asked her how she got around the city and she said by Motorbike. I was asking her the logistics of it, and the safety and where to buy one. She said that she bought hers new for 33,000 which is around 1,000 usd. She said it was nice to have a new one since you don't have to get it repaired. It's basically the best way to get around the city. She also said that bikes are just as dangerous because people don't treat you like a vehicle and zoom right around you. I told her that I am just waiting things out, and she said she waited a month before she bought hers, but loves it. She had had NO experience on one before, not even a quad... so she said I would probably be fine... but it is super scary when you first begin. I was telling her how I was just waiting for God to provide and show me what I should do. Then this evening she sent me an e-mail from a friend of hers who is selling his bike (the same one she has) for 22,000 and it is in excellent condition. PLEASE PRAY that God would show me what to do, and start praying that I would be safe in this city traveling... there are crazy drivers here! I e-mailed the guy about his bike telling him that I was interested, and he doesn't want to sell it until Aug 15th anyway, so it gives me two weeks to wait things out. Kate said in the mean time she would let me practice on her bike on school grounds, and around the block of the school. I told her I would definitely take her up on the offer!

4. I had lunch today with the librarian, my teaching partner Christina, and a math teacher who speaks 7 languages. All whom love the Lord, but are such fun ladies! They are all in their 30s-50s and made for a fun lunch. They made me feel so loved, and not like a 22 year old. Some how we started talking about my phone interview and Christina said that she was in on the interview. Afterwards Terry asked her what he thought, and she just nodded her head and said, "Yea, she will be great." It was so nice to know that she wanted ME to teach with her. She is so experienced and has so much to tell me about everything.

5. Well I continued to work in my room with my music playing until a little after 5. Marilyn had left and I told her I would walk home. But while I am cleaning up my room just getting ready to take pictures of all of my hard work, I hear the gates of the school being closed and locked! I run down stairs, because I don't have my phone or speak Thai, yelling "Hello, Hello!" A man was outside the fence, pointed somewhere and made a key sign with his hand. He left so I didn't know if there was a back door open or something, so I went to check the other ways out and they were all locked. I laughed to myself envisioning me jumping off of the ramps trying to squeeze through the fence. I grabbed my things and went down, and I hear the man whistling with keys in his hands. All I know to say in Thai is "Cap-koon-Ca" which means thank you, and I bowed. I wished I could have Thanked him more!

6. Well I went to walk home, and thought I new the way but took a wrong turn. Again I laughed to myself amazed that I am in Thailand... and so I was turning around to know the way that I was sure of, and who is driving by -- Marilyn. Yep, my entire family was coming back from the store and just happened to be taking this back street home. God is good... and I got a ride home.

I was so dirty and sweaty when I got home that when I wiped the sweat off of my head my sleeve turned brown with dirt. A shower never felt so good. A linguistics lady came over for dinner tonight and I really liked her a lot. The people here are just so neat... I am fascinated by all of them. My stomach is now full of spaghetti and garlic bread, but I can't stop smiling because it was such a great day.

1 comment:

Emily Geyer said...

Sara! I'm addicted to your blog :). Thanks for sharing the ways God is working- SO clearly! It's so encouraing! He's continuing to give you EXACTLY what you need for each day! Manna from heaven :). Love you! -Emily