It has been such a blessing to find a good friend here already -- Kate. Kate is a new 2nd grade teacher at CMIS but lived here the past two years teaching preschool. Today she offered to take me around the city on her motorbike -- it was really fun. We ate lunch and talked for a really long time about how we both ended up in Chiang Mai, and she is a great person to ask questions to about the city since she was in my boat 2 years ago. As we were walking out, I ran into the sweet man, Tommy Mays, who I met in the Bangkok airport and helped me get through customs. He is a teacher here from Arkansas, so he has a southern accent, and teaches at Grace an all Missionary school here in Chiang Mai. I never thought that I would just run into him! Then Kate and I hopped on her bike and went down to the market to buy things for our classrooms. You can get a meter of fabric here for 20 baht -- about $0.60. We picked out fun colors and then went to Chiang Mai plastics. It is a teachers heaven -- they have any kind of creative item you could ever want there. I like it a lot! Then Kate drove me over to the bike shop... and I bought a new bicycle. Its bright red, with a basket on the front. You may think the basket part is slightly uncool -- but it is a must here when that is your only mode of transportation. I will wait awhile before I get something with power. The bike shop even delivered my bike to my house for free. I am telling you, service is great here in Thailand. Kate stayed for dinner and talked with the family until late. I made her pose for a picture for me, under protest she did -- she really wanted me to wait for another time when she wasn't dirty and sweaty.
School stuff is great too, my AMAZING teaching partner and I sat down and wrote a rough draft for our first week of school. I never dreamed I would have an opportunity to have a teacher mentor me like this! She is super laid back -- and is so easy to be around. I am blessed to be around her.
God again was faithful today... providing everything I needed for today.
School stuff is great too, my AMAZING teaching partner and I sat down and wrote a rough draft for our first week of school. I never dreamed I would have an opportunity to have a teacher mentor me like this! She is super laid back -- and is so easy to be around. I am blessed to be around her.
God again was faithful today... providing everything I needed for today.
1 comment:
Ok, I wanted to finish my recommendations for ya. (sounds like you're doing wonderfully, by the way).
Lemon Tree: on Huaykaw Road. AMAZING Thai food. Try the green curry.
Sushi: I think the place is called Sashimi. It's on the east side of the moat, near the middle, about 2 roads back. De-lish. Get the California rolls.
Coffee: There is this great little shop further down on Huaykaw, almost to Chiang Mai University. If you're coming from the moat it's on your left and the side that faces the road is built of mostly glass. It's set back from the road a bit with a little gravel parking lot. Free wireless.
Night time eating: There are set ups all around the moat until about 3am, but there are two you should consider. You to the one on the north side and look for the dead ducks hanging in the little window of the portable fryer cart thing. Get the duck with sauce. It's killer. Also, on the (I believe) southeast side of the moat at night there's a place that does fresh Gyoza. Yum.
Take a motorbike (or have someone take you) and go up to the temple on Doisuthep (the mountain west of the city). It's neat. Make sure you wear pants and a shirt with sleeves. I know how you like to flooze it up ;)
When you need a burger, you can get one. Can't remember the name of the place, but it's big and red and right on the east side of the moat near the center. There's another one on Huaykaw.
That's all I can think of right now. We'll be thinkin' 'bout ya.
Post a Comment