Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween... marks 95 days in Thailand

Well, 95 days minus 7 in India would actually equal 88 days in Thailand, so 95 days since I was last in Indiana...


Life is good here in Thailand, I am so blessed by the community I have here. I am so blessed by my sweet girl friends who I have had coffee and dinner with this week, and a bible study tomorrow with Kelly. And then of course the boys on my floor are always entertaining as we went to the 6 story mall last night for dinner and then they needed my opinion on clothing purchases. Life is really pretty normal here -- and it was such a strange reality to leave India and come "home" to Chiang Mai. But, in a weird way it did feel like home, I knew the streets and the people (I don't know the language though). It was so good to get back to my bed and to have a hot shower.
I am amazed how attached I have become to the kids in my class. I realized that I spend more time with the 16 of them than I do with anyone else. In a way I feel like a mom to 16 kiddos. I even was excited to see them after spending a week away, and for some reason I felt like they looked older to me! This is what it must feel like to be a parent! When I was India I spent an hour or so finding shells for them on the beach, it was so fun to watch them get so excited for a souvenir from my travels. They have been giving me more hugs than usual, even the little guys who used to only give me high fives now look forward to that hug at the end of the day. Did I mention , I really love my kids. Yes, there are things about my job I don't like -- like assessing their reading and hours of planning, but the opportunity I have to love these kids is such a gift. We took a picture today as a thank you to my friends from IU who sent Halloween gifts for my kids. But I thought you would all appreciate the most recent picture of my precious class. And, here is one of me after school today -- notice the festive black and orange. Emily I wish you could see a close up of my feet because I proudly wore the Halloween socks you sent me! My kids said, "Wow Miss. Sara, you have such nice friends." They even realize how wonderful you are! Well, that's all for this last day in October... off to November I go!

No comments: