My mind still wonders why people don't desire to follow God on the path that he has for him, his adventures are so much better than what we could humanly plan ourselves. I was chatting with my Mom the other night and at one point all I could say was, "I love this life the Lord has blessed me with." Day after day I am shocked by how good the Lord is, I know I have said it before -- but God IS good. Let me just give you a run down of my past week...
Last Sunday afternoon the sun was shining and it was a perfect day, so after church and game of frisbee -- Matt, Josh, Kelly and I went on a walk to the vegtable market. I of course brought my camera, and let me just say it was such a simple afternoon... but something about it was so incredibly fun. We were the only "farangs" (Thai word for white person) in sight, and every other inch was packed with Thai people buying heaps of vegtables, fruit and spices for their businesses. We just bought 10 mini bananas for the whopping price of 5 baht. We laughed and just enjoyed the simplness of going on a walk and enjoying this culture we all live in.
Wedneday was a seriously fun day at school for me. We are starting a new unit on Australia in my room, so I thought it would be fun to introduce the unit by taking my kids on a flight to Sydney. I made up Boarding passes with their names and seat numbers on them, set up the desks in 2 rows with an asile, with a TV for our inflight movie, and of course refreshments for our journey. I set it up while the kids were at PE. And when they came back I was standing outside my door with their tickets and told them their flight was about ready to board. They were shreeking with excitment, and couldnt wait to "board" the plane. After I made sure their tray tables were locked, and their seat belts fastened we were off. Of course Oscar pulls out his ruler and says, "I am a terrorist!" Trying not to laugh, I knew I had to put on my serious face and explain that it simply wasn't somthing funny to joke about. Needless to say, the kids are pumped to learn about the Land down under now, and even have been bringing in books from home about the country. Nothing makes a teacher happier than when their kids take learning home with them!
Wedneday was a seriously fun day at school for me. We are starting a new unit on Australia in my room, so I thought it would be fun to introduce the unit by taking my kids on a flight to Sydney. I made up Boarding passes with their names and seat numbers on them, set up the desks in 2 rows with an asile, with a TV for our inflight movie, and of course refreshments for our journey. I set it up while the kids were at PE. And when they came back I was standing outside my door with their tickets and told them their flight was about ready to board. They were shreeking with excitment, and couldnt wait to "board" the plane. After I made sure their tray tables were locked, and their seat belts fastened we were off. Of course Oscar pulls out his ruler and says, "I am a terrorist!" Trying not to laugh, I knew I had to put on my serious face and explain that it simply wasn't somthing funny to joke about. Needless to say, the kids are pumped to learn about the Land down under now, and even have been bringing in books from home about the country. Nothing makes a teacher happier than when their kids take learning home with them!
Friday after school I went with 3 other teachers, Kate,Catherine and Melody to get a manicure and pedicure. Let me just say, I really enjoy this once-a-month habit! I stopped by Kelly's on my way home (I can do this now because I have a motorbike... I love my independence!) to find out that the nights plans were to watch a movie. You can rent these private movie rooms here where you pick the movie, they project it on the wall, and you and your friends pile in the room with couches and enjoy the show and each other. It's such a neat idea! After that, we were all standing around and we decided that something fun needed to happen. So we got icecream form 7-11 (pronouced 'sewen elewen' in thai) and then decided to take a truck to the top of Doi Sutep. Up the twisted mountain, we came to the over look about 3/4ths the way up and let me just tell you it was beautiful. I had never seen my city from this perspective before. And it was so incredibly quiet above this glowing city... we climbed to the top, up a dirt road, and then came to a clearing... I have never seen so many stars in my life. Shooting stars in all. It even smelled like pine and was cold. It was such a neat moment to be at the top of this mountian with 8 other Americans who have also all followed the Lord to this city. It was quite a special night.
Saturday I watched my kids play soccer and tooted around the city on my motorbike. And then the group of us went to the Pie fest put on by the church. The entertainment was so corny that it was absolutely hilarious. Just imagine Thai people doing a cheesey musical about the prodical son, but some how elvis was incorporated... yea it was funny. We decided that it would be fun to go do karaoke -- and let me tell you it was. They have these decorated theme rooms where you and your friends pile and sing whatever songs you choose. We laughed pretty hard, and also some how got lost in an elevator and laughed some more...
Sunday morning started off with a great church service -- then it was brought to my attention that the World Championship Sumo wrestling competition was going on in Chiang Mai. You can't beat free admission and Sumo wrestling!! Josh, Matt, Kelly and I laughed so, so hard and cheered on our fat American. We lost to Egypt if you were wondering. It was crazy to watch the women matches too. And some of the men should really wear more than just a sumo diaper. It was an experience!
I ended the day with a grocery run on my motorbike -- and some how loaded it up with $30 of groceries and came home. Life is good here... real good. And I know that is only because of my Jesus.
Just curious, who actually reads these silly blogs?! I am writing to space?
3 comments:
I read your blog, sara, because i miss being able to talk with you and I want to live your adventure vicariously through you.
I am so happy that God has blessed your time in Thailand. It looks like so much fun and your e-mails often make laugh out loud. (The sumo photos did that today...i can't imagine what it would have been like to see that in person!)
Hope everything is going well and I'll talk to you soon.
I read your blog almost every day...well, that is when you post them. I feel like it's my only connection to you and since I'd like to talk to you every day, I feel like reading your blog let's me do that. :)
So keep writin' sister. I'm readin'!
Sara, I read too... I'm so encouraged by your stories... way to go...
Post a Comment